See the moving  
Picture

FIGURE 1.20

The First Commercial-Length Motion Picture?

Blacksmith Scene

W.K.L. Dickson, Edison Co., USA, 1893

Dickson built a blacksmith’s shop in Edison’s New Jersey studio, where he shot this staged scene (called Blacksmith Scene), probably in April 1893. In May, it premiered at a meeting of the department of physics at the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences. Images were first projected on to a screen to demonstrate their superiority to those made by more primitive techniques, and then the film itself was shown to one person at a time in the Edison kinetoscope. It took a little more than three hours for 400 people to witness the 30-second spectacle.

Back to CHAPTER 1/Part 2