FIGURE 2.17

The Grand Café

Preceding the first commercial demonstration of the Armat-Edison vitascope by four months, the debut of the cinématographe before a paying audience is generally regarded as the first commercial exhibition of projected motion pictures. A claim for precedence has been made on behalf of Max and Emil Skladanowsky, two German inventors who screened a program of projected films in Berlin on 1 November 1895, but the Skladanowskys’ projector, called the Bioskop, actually projected overlapping film strips running at a speed of eight frames per second. In effect, then, it was projecting synchronized series of pictures, not pictures in continuous motion. In any case, the Bioskop bore no commercial fruit and was soon abandoned.

Back to CHAPTER 2/Part 2