FIGURE 4.11

Lubin the Producer

Sigmund Lubin had built his first studio, an open-air facility, on a rooftop in 1897 (left). He enclosed it with a glass-top roof in 1902 and by 1907 had opened a major new indoor facility, complete with electric lighting to permit filming in any kind of weather. The North Philadelphia facility known as “Lubinville” (center and right) opened in 1910, the same year in which Lubin dispatched a production unit to the Hollywood, California, area. Five crews could work simultaneously on the world’s largest artificially lighted stage. The facility also housed not only editing rooms and laboratories, but machine shops for manufacturing cameras and projectors.

Back to CHAPTER 4/Part 1