FIGURE 6.5

Gaumont Studio at Buttes-Chaumont

Constructed next to the Buttes-Chaumont Park in Paris in 1905, the Gaumont facility was the largest in the world. To supplement the winter sunlight, the first mercury vapor lamps were installed, and by 1907, Gaumontís lighting effects were widely regarded as the state of the art in black-and-white cinematography. An adjoining factory printed 10,000 meters of positive film stock every day.

Back to CHAPTER 6/Part 1